Thursday, November 11, 2010

Four 6-packs of Dachshunds

The Idaho Humane Society recently came into possession of 24 dachshund puppies from an Oregon puppy mill.  Thankfully, the owner called and surrendered the puppies because she could no longer care for them. They were malnourished with miscellaneous other problems, but were soon ready for adoption.  As I viewed the numerous pictures of the cute things (a huge variety of long/short hair of different colors), I actually entertained the idea....
ARE YOU CRAZY????   Let me set the record straight here.  THREE DOGS ARE PLENTY. 

I love my boys.  But, wow! I could not even imagine adding just one more (albeit, small) animal to the pack.  That's what it is after two, you know?  They are a pack.  Already, when I arrive home, I am mobbed unbelievably.  Literally, before I set my purse and other belongings down, I have been surrounded by the "pack", bayed at, barked at, sniffed, licked, and bounced at.  I try to pet all three at once.  You know, by patting two heads while rubbing another with your forearm.... They will have none of it.  It's all or nothing and they jockey for position by wedging themselves between you and the others (Jager actually steps on Cooper and Roscoe since he's tall enough to do it).  It's like feeding time at the piranha tank!

So, I was thrilled to learn on the news last night that all 24 wiener dogs have found homes.  There are still so many inmates at the shelter, I hope people who wanted one of the rescue dogs will take the time to look at those who remain, those whose time has not been as short.  I see the faces there and it makes me so sad.  If only I could... what's one more?  A BIGGER PACK!.... STOP!  There is only so much one can do and I DO NOT want to be a pet hoarder..."the crazy dog lady"on the street.  If you have space in your home, check out your local shelter and see what you could do to share your home with one of these sweet dogs.  (Or cats) Winter is coming and I fear there will be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment